Thursday, April 15, 2010

Babies and Taxes!

As every American is aware, today (April 15th) is tax day. While there are many benefits to parenthood, one of these benefits is the tax credit! As working parents, we are able to take advantage of the dependent care credit as well.  Parents are able to have money (up to $5000 per household) taken pre tax from their pay check for dependent care.  Since we have to pay for child care, at least there are some tax benefits. With that said, whether you owe or are getting a refund from our friends at the IRS this year, here are some ways to save or spend on your little ones.


Making your own baby food… a wonderful way to save. I have made all of Gracie’s food since she began eating at 5 months. There are a few items that made the process almost as easy as opening the jar. The Cuisinart Smart Stick was great and easy to clean up. The clean up should not take longer than making the food itself. Another item I found, and could not have done without, are the Baby Cubes. These worked great for us to freeze and use for daycare, home, and any outing. There are many options out there, I have heard of ice trays, but having the container all in one piece was perfect and allowed us to just grab and go (an essential for any working mom).  The last item that served me well was a baby food book. It was a great resource to get started with. Through time and as you get more involved, coming up with your own recipes that your baby loves is great fun.


Cuisinart Smart Stick Hand Blender via Cuisinart.com


Baby Cubes via babycubes.com


Naturally Healthy First Foods for Baby by Jacqueline Rubin



Looking for some fun things to spend your refund on? Gracie and I recently found some great items at Target! They now carry Trumpette’s! Not only do they have the socks we have all grown to know and love, but they have shoes now too. As a shoe queen myself, I have managed to raise a shoe princess in just 19 months.



Tori Spelling's new clothing line Little Maven has great, stylish clothes for babies.


 Little Maven by Tori Spelling via LittleMaven.com


I found a great baby boutique in Chicago, Twinkle Twinkle Little One.  You can find great gifts and high end items for baby.  I epecially love these tee's for boys!




My Little Pumpkin - Off to the Office T-shirt via twinkletwinklelittleone.com


Normally I do not care for little babies in headbands, however with these flowers they are just too cute!  I cannot resist flowers on a hat or headband. 


Baby Blossom Flower via PinkBowtique.com



2 comments:

  1. Kim this blog is such a great idea! You were always creative but I am so impressed this! I did not know that you have been making Gracie's baby food. How cool!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah, I appreciate the praise. It is great to hear from you! Paul was a huge help in the food making (have to give him props now and then), I think his intentions were more monetary, but either way it has worked great for us :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails